Welcome!

Come on in! Beijing is a cool but crazy place. Read my blog for a flavour of what life is like here. Please say hi and leave a comment and I'll get back to you. Take your time, look around and enjoy! Thanks for stopping by :)

Sunday 22 July 2012

A Birthday in Beijing

One year ago today, on my 28th birthday, I hadn’t dreamt that I’d be spending my 29th under the beautiful Beijing stars. And that’s not just because it’s so rare get get a clear sky here! On July 22nd 2011, there were no set plans in place to move out here; life and work just continued as normal. And suddenly there I was last night- surrounded by new friends, sipping a cold Tsing Tao on a hutong rooftop, attempting to hug a Chinese guy* and star-gazing in the comfortable warmth of a July evening. Unbelievable.

I moved here almost 4 months ago, perhaps like a lot of people who move abroad, in search of something. I’m not entirely sure what that something is yet, but I’ve decided that I’d like to share it with you. I want to write an honest account of my life here; my first impressions of Beijing, the rocky road that is culture shock, the high days, the low days and the in-between days and any other interesting things that happen along the way.  I’m starting to figure out that wherever you are in the world, life is still a series of ups and downs and the best tactic is to embrace it. Here goes! Are you coming?

*After a few beers,  I misinterpreted his move towards the door as as gesture towards a goodbye hug. It resulted in gymnastic attempts to get out of my way and a very swift exit. Ooops!

No comments:

Post a Comment