Welcome!

Come on in! Beijing is a cool but crazy place. Read my blog for a flavour of what life is like here. Please say hi and leave a comment and I'll get back to you. Take your time, look around and enjoy! Thanks for stopping by :)

Tuesday 24 July 2012

Tearing my hair out!


My cell phone decided to completely stop working yesterday. It became clear that I could not fix it myself so a very kind colleague accompanied me to the nearest China Unicom shop. As is the way, we took a ticket: number 138. They were currently serving 104. We went back to work and came back half an hour later to find them only on 113. We returned again half an hour later but alas, in some kind of time warping process we were too late and we had missed our number! Faced with only one option, to take another ticket, half an hour later we were served. Please note that we are now 2 hours into this saga. The shop assistant managed to permanently lock my sim card by attempting to enter the pin incorrectly several times so I was then forced to buy a new one. In order to do this I had to show my passport which was then photocopied. I signed a receipt and was given 3 pieces of paper (I have no idea what any of them say).  After mixing up my sim card with her own, the assistant soon decided that my phone was the problem. So 3 hours after first entering, I left the shop none the wiser and late for a meeting.  Aaaaagh! I had to stand on the quiet stairwell, sipping cool water for 10 minutes before I felt calm enough to resume my position!!

Do you know what the wonderful thing about China is? Every maddening, hair pulling experience like this one is countered by something wonderfully positive. I had great fun teaching some students about various illnesses and after the lesson I was told I am a very ‘wisdom lady’- how lovely! Then on the bus on my way home, I struck up a conversation with a Chinese guy who initially asked me if I spoke French. I replied “Un petite peu.” and there followed a challenging but highly engaging conversation in what I’d like to call “Frenglese”. It might just be the most rewarding conversation I’ve ever had in my life.
What was I saying the other day about the ups and downs of life? Crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment