Welcome!

Come on in! Beijing is a cool but crazy place. Read my blog for a flavour of what life is like here. Please say hi and leave a comment and I'll get back to you. Take your time, look around and enjoy! Thanks for stopping by :)

Wednesday 25 July 2012

Suicidal

I came back from lunch today and found myself swept along with a crowd of excited people shouting, smiling and running to the back of my office building. Initially concerned about what I might be about to get involved in, I envisaged the British Foreign Office website headlines: ‘riots in Beijing’, ’29 year old woman killed in Beijing stampede’. Before I could further embellish my own death, I emerged from the tunnel into the large open space in which maybe 150 people were standing. I immediately sensed there was no threat; in fact there was more of a carnival atmosphere. Then I noticed everyone was looking up to the 10th floor, where a pair of skinny legs could be seen dangling from the window, and I could just make out a pair of arms, tightly clutching a baby. I suddenly felt like I’d been badly winded. I looked again behind me to check that people really were laughing. Yep, they were pointing and seemed to be generally being entertained. One woman held her toddler and pointed out the legs, the way a parent might point to an animal in the zoo. And as my eyes focused on the crowd, I could see that many people were taking photos and filming the scene.

I went inside, feeling the need for some quiet space to take in what I had just seen. Back in the office, people gathered at the window to see what was happening. By now, several firemen had appeared. One set up a video camera and the rest milled around. A large inflatable yellow mattress was brought in and pumped up. What with the jolly mood and a large inflatable object, the whole place now resembled a summer fete.

Throughout the incident, I was far more drawn to watching the crowd than the legs in the window.  I’m sure that in the UK a similar event would similarly have drawn a fascinated crowd. I’m also sure that some people would have taken photos. However, I don’t think I’m kidding myself when I say that the mood would more likely be one of somber concern.

After work, I got busy with good old Wikipedia which told me that China is thought to have the highest suicide rate in Asia and one of the highest in the world. Being in a new country which is so very different from my own, I try not to judge. I try to be open-minded and think to myself ‘That’s different’ rather than ‘That’s terrible’. However, it’s hard to do that sometimes. It’s really hard to understand how one person’s tormented battle with life could be seen as a bit of light amusement. In a noodle restaurant near my partner’s office they show ‘suicide TV’- films of similar events. I just hope that the fireman was filming it for professional purposes rather than to make a quick buck.

In the end, the skinny-legged individual didn’t jump. The mattress and the mood were deflated and the crowds dispersed, somewhat disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment